LVNV Funding is a junk debt buyer that we deal with on a daily basis. They fell under the radar for a few years and now are making a big comeback. We’ve seen hundreds of LVNV cases being filed across western Pennsylvania in the last few months. Below, we’ll talk about the 5 steps to beat LVNV in court.
- Do not call them up. Once you receive a lawsuit, the initial reaction for many is to call the company up and try to figure out what is going on… or worse, calling them up and making payment arrangements. You don’t want to speak to LVNV without first speaking to a consumer attorney.
- Get a current copy of your credit report. When we say “credit report” we mean a real credit report from Transunion, Equifax or Experian. You can obtain these reports directly from these companies or you can go to www.annualcreditreport.com and get them for free. Other “credit reports” from some of the companies that you see on tv, the internet, or hear about on the radio are garbage. They are filled with errors and may or may not have accurate account records. They would not hold up in a court of law due to reliability issues. The point of the credit report is to find the original creditor, the true amount that is due and owing and the date of the last payment. The easiest way to get this information is to look at a current credit report from one of the Big Three reporting agencies.
- Get a consult with a consumer attorney. Most of us offer free consultations so it’s kind of silly to not take advantage of that. We know the law, we know how to win, and we know what to do. You don’t know any of these things… if you did, you wouldn’t be here reading this. There is no obligation to hire an attorney but its in your best interests to educate yourself as to what your rights are and what avenues you should take.
- Hire a consumer attorney. Only a fool represents himself. Put it another way, anyone who represents themselves has a fool for a client and a fool for an attorney. Just don’t do it. You shouldn’t attend the hearing anyways. If you do, you will be the star witness for LVNV. They will not have a witness at the hearing but they are hoping that you show up so that they can cross examine you and use your testimony against you.
- Force them to prove a case. This requires evidence. Documents, contracts, statements, assignments, etc… They essentially need your whole credit file and more to win. In most instances, they do not have access to all of these documents.
LVNV is a big company that is coming up to the forefront again. Don’t try to beat them alone, it’s better to contact and consult with a consumer attorney to learn how you can win your case. You don’t want to make the mistake of losing a winner of a case because you tried to handle it yourself. Call us at 412-348-8600 for a free consultation on any LVNV case.